Blueberries can be eaten freshly picked or incorporated into a variety of recipes. They can also be purchased frozen.
- Blueberries contain a plant compound called anthocyanin. This gives blueberries both their blue color and many of their health benefits.
- Blueberries can help heart health, bone strength, skin health, blood pressure, diabetes management, cancer prevention, and mental health.
- One cup of blueberries provides 24 percent of a person recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.
- Use blueberries to top waffles, pancakes, yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal, blend them in a smoothie or syrup, or fold them into muffins and sweet breads.
- People who use blood-thinners, such as warfarin, should speak to their doctor before increasing their intake of blueberries, as the high vitamin K content can affect blood clotting.